There are two steps to submitting your application, listed below. All materials should arrive at the UAF Admissions office by January 15, 2019.
1. Complete online application:
To begin your application process, go to (www.uaf.edu/admissions). Here you will submit the following:
- UAF graduate application
- Writing Sample (see below)
- 2-3 page Statement of Goals (see below)
- Contact information for three references (your references will be sent an email with a link for submitting letters).
Additionally, official transcripts should be sent directly from the institution(s) via mail or a secure electronic transcript service. We do not require GRE results from applicants.
2. Complete and submit the following directly to English Department at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- UAF English Department Applicant Form
- Teaching Statement (if applying for assistantship – see below)
Writing Sample Guidelines
The MFA Program would like to read your best work regardless of length, but we do have some general guidelines. Submit a maximum of 25 to 40 pages of prose or 15 to 20 pages of poetry.
Statement of Goals
In 600-1000 words, please address your personal goals for graduate studies, including your current interests, writing projects and literary influences. Also include how your experience, skills, and intellectual outlook might make you an important part of our writing community.
In 300-500 words, please express your interest and experience in teaching writing courses at the university level.
The department offers graduate teaching assistantships, which are awarded on the basis of merit. Duties include the teaching of one freshman composition section per semester, and tutoring in the Writing Center. The stipend also carries a tuition waiver. MFA and MFA/MA students may receive up to three years of financial support through this program.
For more information contact:
Daryl Farmer, Director of Creative Writing
Department of English