Dead Writers is a longstanding tradition both at UAF and in the Fairbanks community. At this event, readers dress up as dearly departed authors and deliver a reading or performance based on or inspired by the author’s work. Due to the COVID pandemic, Dead Writers will be held virtually this year—but held it will be!
Join us on Friday, October 29 at 7PM for a night of readings and performances. You can enter the party by following this Zoom link (click to join). We’ll be giving away prizes throughout the night, and we’ll have a panel of judges that vote on Best Performance and Best Dressed—yes, we’ll still be dressing up! We’ll also be giving away raffle prizes to those in attendance. Our prizes include:
- a stay at Chena Hot Springs Resort
- signed copy of Golden Heart Parade by Joseph Holt
- signed copy of Bluetongue and Other Michigan Stories by Ryan Shek
So dust off your Norton Anthologies, find some portraits, and grab a drink—we’ll be waiting! We ask that you please register beforehand if you plan to perform. All who attend will be eligible for raffle prizes, whether you’re reading or just spectating.
Proceeds from Dead Writers help to fund our Midnight Sun Visiting Writers Series. While the event is free, we’ll be grateful for any and all donations. You can donate online through the UAF Foundation, or you can donate by mail by sending a check:
- Make check payable to University of Alaska Foundation
- In the memo line, write, “Visiting Writer Support Fund (20051)”
- Mail the check to: University of Alaska Foundation; PO Box 755080; Fairbanks, AK 99775