- Complete degree course requirements.
- Pass a written comprehensive examination, based on a standardized reading list; examination to be taken no later than student’s fourth semester of work. Examination will be held on the Saturday ending the fourth full week of classes.
- Complete a creative thesis and pass an oral defense of thesis.
Course Requirements (45 Credits) – Complete a minimum of 45 approved credits at the 600 level, except as noted under electives, distributed as follows:
- Required courses (15 credits)
ENGL 671: Writer’s Workshop (9 Credits)
ENGL 601: Bibliography, Methods, and Criticism (3 Credits)
ENGL 685: Teaching College Composition (for Teaching Assistants, or if planning to teach) (3 Credits); or, extra 600-level course. if student does not take ENGL 685
- Two forms courses (6 credits)
ENGL 681: Forms of Poetry
ENGL 682: Forms of Fiction
ENGL 684: Forms of Non-Fiction Prose
ENGL 688: Writing for Film and Television
- Literature Seminars (12 credits)
Minimum of four; to be determined by student’s advisory committee: ENGL 603, 604, 606, 607, 608, 609, 611, 612, 614, 615, 620, 692. Descriptions of these courses can be found in the University of Alaska Fairbanks catalog .
- Electives (6 credits)
To be approved by student’s advisory committee
- Thesis (6 credits)
ENGL 699: Thesis
Note: The English Department requires that a student receive a grade of “A” or “B” for all 600-level courses that the student wishes to apply toward this degree program.